This fantasy football blog discusses fantasy football and gives fantasy football advice about how to maximize your efforts to win your fantasy football leagues.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dynasty Leagues Are Starting Back Up!


I like to have a mix of the different types of fantasy football leagues that I participate in. I thought it would be cool to be a GM and have to manage a team over a couple of years. So I joined a dynasty league.

This particular league has its restricted free agent auction tied to the NFL free agency. So last week, when the NFL free agency should have began, my fantasy football league started to auction off restricted free agents. The team that had them on their roster when their contract expired could keep them by matching the highest bid. Unfortunately, there is no competition to be had if you lose the player via this process.

So I evaluated my team, which won the division but lost to the champ in my league's fantasy football playoffs, and realized that I needed more consistent scoring from my wide-outs. I looked at what was available and what I had and crafted a strategy to target older WRs who were once vertical threats and now have the dubious label of "Possession" WR. I knew that these players are always undervalued. I needed them to be cheap, because I did so well in my fantasy football league I did not receive many bidding bucks (my league works on a sliding scale the team that does the worse gets the most and the team that does the best gets the least 30 for the worse record 15 for the best) and I spent a lot (15) acquiring FWP before the season started last year and you only get 100 at the start of the season. So I was able to pick up guys like "Free Mason", "Meyshawn" to add to his cousin, and Denver's number 80 to add to 84 all for 2 bucks a piece. Meanwhile, the bidding is still fast and furious on TJ "how the hell do you spell his last name" with the current bid at 16 bucks. IMO, TJ is a possession WR...But he is not old enough to be tagged with the title. If you compare Tj's number to the guys I got for a total of 6 bucks you will see he does not out-rank many of them by that much if at all.

Fantasy football is all about value and consistent scoring. I helped my team by obtaining guys who can still play at a high level and I was able to get enough players to diversify my risk if one of them suddenly plays like their age. See my other article about older WRs and Fantasy Football using the hyperlink.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home